The iPad2 was revealed by Steve Jobs today. It’s incredible, no question, but the absolute star was the video for the new cover:
It’s moving to see Steve Jobs returning from medical leave to do this.
Ok here’s my idea:
First I thought why not put 2 iPads on a hinge and use them as linked displays as I use my desktop screens?
- Double the screen real estate
- Fold the screens together to shut
- Fold back-to-back to display to users sitting opposite
- Rotate 90 degrees and eg use lower screen as soft keyboard or trackpad
- Flip or drag objects from screen to screen
- Enhance video conferencing
- Enhance gaming
But why have a physical hinge to join 2 iPads? A lead will do + some smart, embedded magnets to bind 2 iPads in different configurations.
Then why 2 iPads? Make it n iPads.
Then why a lead? Make that something Bluetoothy.
Then why waste the redundant processors by using the 2nd to nth screens as slaves? Scale up the processing and turn n iPads into a supercomputer.
Don’t laugh. It’ll come.